Old 24-06-2001, 06:38 PM   #31   [permalink]
Shadow Knight
Executive Member

I liked it a lot in fact. I can't wait till they finish it...because frankly they left it at the stinking climax...how aggrivating. Especially since you know 'Angel' and what's his corporate face knows something. Anyway most people I've talked to hate it for one simple fact...'it's too much like Batman!'...I say 'so?' isn't every Gundam much like the Gundam that preceeded it? Besides the simliarities to Batman, well to me, are really only in some actions they do and the over all mood. I've always loved anime for it's stories...it's not some pillowed Disney crap...you bet blood, love, betrayal, and basically a plot! (well in some animes at least) Frankly Big O didn't dissapoint me. In fact one of the main reasons I did like it was because it was like every other anime I've seen. If you get the same stuff over and over it loses it's effect...and this is definately not your average anime...even with it's tire related name.
Shadow Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2001, 07:14 PM   #32   [permalink]
Gundammi!
Forum Elite

Okay to set the record straight...

YES ROGER IS VOICED BY DAVID LUCAS WHO ALSO DID SPIKE IN CB! THEY'RE DONE BY THE SAME DUBBING COMPANY FOR CRISSAKES!

You may notice that alot of the VAs in bandai's (and other companies) are used again for different shows. Did you know that Wendee Lee (aka. Faye Valentine from CB and Suzuka form OS) does Angel (the hot blonde chick)? Or that Beck (the guy in the gold suit that kidnaps Dorothy)'s VA (his name escapes me right now) did Gene in Outlaw Star? It's true! Get used to it! I love when familiar VAs do other anime that I watch!

Oh and by the way...Big O is good. It is very good.

"A woman made entirely of pie!?"
Gundammi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2001, 12:34 PM   #33   [permalink]
heerogf
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to heerogf Send a message via Yahoo to heerogf
sadly, big o was canceled after only 13 eps, and toonami didn't even show re-runs of it, i didn't catch it the first time, now i'm never gonna see big o! dorothry look really kewl though
Old 25-06-2001, 12:46 PM   #34   [permalink]
heerogf
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to heerogf Send a message via Yahoo to heerogf
sadly, big o was canceled after only 13 eps, and toonami didn't even show re-runs of it, i didn't catch it the first time, now i'm never gonna see big o! dorothry look really kewl though
Old 25-06-2001, 12:52 PM   #35   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Squall Leonhart
Re: anime snobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by strikeotoko
As anime gets more popular I seem to find that there are a lot of these "snob" type "fans". They always complain how some anime are all crap because of this or that. This is beginning to get to me considering the fact that majority of these guys got into anime just a few years ago and wouldn't have a clue of what was even going on in these anime without the dubbing or subbing. So they go watch some fansubbed stuff from their little "anime clubs" and go around all high and mighty telling people this is crap and that's overdone etc. Some of this "bitching" was a little cute when it began, but now it's nothing more than a load of pretentious a-hole whining and it's getting really old. Some of us do watch and enjoy a lot of this 'crap' and would appreciate less whining from some annoying prick who needs to keep up an air of pretentiousness around him/herself.
clap,clap,clap.clap,clap thank you god fotr a person with the same ideas as me. Most of my friends hate animeadn they call it a cartoon show like "loony tunes" i hate when they decide to call it that
Old 25-06-2001, 07:07 PM   #36   [permalink]
Shadow Knight
Executive Member

Welcome to our Disney infested country. Bleh.

Anyway they are showing it again. I saw the 1st episode on today on Toonami just so you know.
Old 26-06-2001, 04:33 AM   #37   [permalink]
Viola

Send a message via AIM to Viola Send a message via Yahoo to Viola
I have to admit that at first I did not like Big O. The main reason was because of the robot. After a few episodes, I started to get into the story and I really like it now. I just wish they had made more epistodes.
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 12:28 PM   #38   [permalink]
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside Send a message via Yahoo to Darkside
Amen

Quote:
Man, the show just started three days ago. Give it some time. I'm also sick of hearing anime fans ----- about a show for no reason. It's illogical, people whine about this and that, anime isn't accepted by the mainstream, the voice actors suck, bla bla bla. Then you get a program like toonami that's trying their very best to slowly introduce anime in America and give it more esteem and no one even gives them a chance. They just ----- about more tiny little details like OH MY GOD, THEY CUT THREE MILLISECONDS OFF GOHANS TRANSFORMATION or, I can't believe it they said tea instead of saki, blasphemy. This is just stupid, it seems like a lot of anime fans are just a bunch of loosers who got nothing better to do than pretend their special because they watch PERFECT, subtitled(of course), anime. That's my opinion and if anyone wants to debate it I would be glad to.
All i got to say is AMEN BROTHER!

Darkside
Old 11-07-2001, 06:43 PM   #39   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Now, who is Dorothy??? Sorry just got the DVD box and the names they used are Talousi(big pink robot is Talousi 1), the blond chicked is Casseey Jenkings(stated on her business card too, nick name "angel").
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 07:04 PM   #40   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
do what the topic starter couldn't. Watch the show and find out for yourself.

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 07:10 PM   #41   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Just watch up to episode 4, I'll be finishing the show tomorrow. How many eps are there(total)?
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 07:41 PM   #42   [permalink]
Shadow Knight
Executive Member

Old 12-07-2001, 01:38 AM   #43   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Quote:
Originally posted by Maccy99
...I'm also sick of hearing anime fans ----- about a show for no reason. It's illogical, people whine about this and that, anime isn't accepted by the mainstream, the voice actors suck, bla bla bla. Then you get a program like toonami that's trying their very best to slowly introduce anime in America and give it more esteem and no one even gives them a chance. They just ----- about more tiny little details like OH MY GOD, THEY CUT THREE MILLISECONDS OFF GOHANS TRANSFORMATION or, I can't believe it they said tea instead of saki, blasphemy. This is just stupid, it seems like a lot of anime fans are just a bunch of loosers who got nothing better to do than pretend their special because they watch PERFECT, subtitled(of course), anime. That's my opinion and if anyone wants to debate it I would be glad to.
Well, I'd have to agree with you and Darkside. I'd also like to comment on an earlier respondant who said:

...there are a lot of these "snob" type "fans". They always complain how some anime are all crap because of this or that. This is beginning to get to me considering the fact that majority of these guys got into anime just a few years ago and wouldn't have a clue of what was even going on in these anime without the dubbing or subbing. So they go watch some fansubbed stuff from their little "anime clubs" and go around all high and mighty telling people this is crap and that's overdone etc....

Just because someone doesn't like an Anime series you like, doesn't automatically make them a "snob", and, remember, everyone was a "newbie" at one point. Besides, aren't new fans a good thing? That's just my opinion. I'll go hide now.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:03 AM   #44   [permalink]
Viola

Send a message via AIM to Viola Send a message via Yahoo to Viola
Kayay you are right that someone is not a snob just becuase they do not like the series. I just think that people who do not take the time to watch more than just a couple of episodes and tell everyone else that it is a stupid show come off sounding immature. So I can see why a lot of people are getting tired of hearing all the complaints that come in. I know I am tired of it as show by my Please Read This thread.
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:05 AM   #45   [permalink]
plucky

Big O and Toonami

It is unfortunate that there are only 13 episodes of Big-O, but boy do they give you alot to try to work out on your own...

But why is everyone so down on Toonami? Toonami ROCKS! The only Anime on TV otherwise is the occasional Galaxy Express 999 on some random station, or Pokemon and CardCaptors...
And look at the editing on Big-O compared to CardCaptors, they were very true to the original from looking at the edit lists online!
Cardcaptors, on the other hand, you can tell without knowing a thing about the original (which I didn't) that it is hacked to bits.

True, some of the edit jobs shown on Toonami aren't great, and it would be nice to see them shuffling in some other series, but unfortunately with the purchase of Cartoon Network (or trade, or whatever), things are looking down

and Powerpuff Girls RULE!

As for Snobbery, yes, there is alot of that. Oh well, I scoff in their general direction... SCOFF SCOFF! Heck, I didn't like Cowboy Beebop when I saw the first few episodes of it, but my girlfriend loves it! I think I just thought the main character was a d&#* when I saw it. And think, most of us are Anime newbies, no matter HOW much we've seen. I'm only 25, therefore I'm too young to be an Anime Elder, I wasn't old enough to watch the old series when they were new, nor was I in the right country for that matter! So unless you're a 50 year old from Japan, suck it up! I remember watching Anime when it was called Japanimation, though I can sure see what THAT name went away!
Heck, I remember seeing "Warriors of the Wind" years ago (probably about 12 years ago? Thats just a guess), and LOVED it, best thing I'd ever seen! Of course at 13 there's no way I would have ever HEARD of the original, more or less been able to get my hands on a copy to see it. It was a good 8 years later I started reading all these message boards saying "Don't watch Warriors of the Wind, it's horrible, skip it entirely if you can't see the original!" BAH! If you can't get the original, watch WotW anyway! Sure it SKIPS one of the most important scenes in the movie, but hey, figure it out yourself!

Hehe, ok, I'm at work, so I guess that'll be enough of that,
Toonami rules!

plucky
plucky is offline   Reply With Quote