Old 12-07-2001, 11:14 AM   #46   [permalink]
Ultimate_Gotenks

Thumbs down I agree

I think this show should be burned and riped. That is all.
Ultimate_Gotenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:01 PM   #47   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I don't see why people watching the lamest(right next to Sailor moon, although Sailor moon does have a story on the occasion) show on earth, keep putting Big O down and other good show for that matter.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2001, 03:33 AM   #48   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
You make sense Plucky, at least to me.
Iíd just like to say something I said in another thread:

I donít think Cartoon Network bashers are being totally objective. Ok, ok, before you start declaring be a blasphemous sinner and start raving about how it is a crime to watch dubbed, cut, and/or edited, versions of anime (e.g Toonami), let me point out two things:

1. Anime is expensive to buy, especially if you intend to collect an entire series.
2. Anime in its original format is often hard to find to rent, especially in smaller cities.

For lots of people, TV is their first exposure to Anime, and itís often their only affordable source, especially for the younger, poorer crowd (i.e. college students). Sure, fansubs and private collectorís copies are sold at a lower cost on the internet, but even those start to add up to a substantial amount of moola. Besides, it gives fans, both newbie and ďotakuĒ, the chance to preview a title before investing a wad oí cash on a series they may end up hating. So while perhaps not the best or purest form of anime, it has its place in the world of anime aficionados, creating new fans (important if we want to pressure the industry to release more titles here at lower costs), providing Anime suitable for the younger viewer, and satiating, somewhat, the thirst for Anime of old and new fan alike.

Basically, it is better than nothin'.

Thatís just my opinion. (Now pleeze don' hurt me )

FYI: I really didnít like Big-O the first time I saw it. Still, I watched a few more eps., but I still didnít care for it. I caught some of the last few episodes, however, in an attempt to be fair, and was actually somewhat interested in where the story was going, but since Toonami cut the series at 13 epsÖoh well. I gave Big-O several tries, so no one can accuse me of forming a hasty opinion, but I still, overall, donít care for it. I think itís the animation style (and the way that robot is drawn) that bugs me the most.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #49   [permalink]
plucky

More big-o?

From what I've read, Toonami didn't cut Big-O at 13 episodes, but Big-O was cut at 13 episodes to start with, and the 2nd season was never started.

There are some bits that don't seem to make any sense in the series, but some things just seem to be forshadowing or "mysterious", daring us to figure things out for ourselves (which is something us here in America aren't used to having to do).

Yea Big-O is ugly though, reminds us too much of Giant Robo!

plucky
plucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2001, 04:51 AM   #50   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Re: More big-o?

Quote:
Originally posted by plucky
There are some bits that don't seem to make any sense in the series, but some things just seem to be forshadowing or "mysterious", daring us to figure things out for ourselves (which is something us here in America aren't used to having to do).
True. When I first got into Anime I had problems dealing with the often vague endings. Anime makes you think...
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2001, 03:18 PM   #51   [permalink]
AnimeOtakuDon
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to AnimeOtakuDon
I have mixed opinions about Big O....I have yet to see the entire series, and so my opinion will mst definetly change when I see the whole series. The one thing I don't like is that it looks too much like Batman. But than again thats the artists style and I won't put him down for that. The storyline seems good, although a bit confusing since I haven't seen the first episodes, and usually only catch 2-3 episodes a week. I think Big O will be a pretty good series.
and I think I can fly-P.O.D "Alive"

Bored Again by Happiness, and all the friends, I've lost in there-Our Lady Peace"Happiness and the Fish
AnimeOtakuDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2001, 03:57 PM   #52   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
The order you see the episodes doesn't really matter that much because they're all one shot eps except for the first 2. You're right, you will end up liking it, it rules

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2001, 05:26 PM   #53   [permalink]
DracoFirst
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to DracoFirst Send a message via Yahoo to DracoFirst
Well I think that's sort of the keyword there Sheex. "you'll end up liking it" I caught the first episode the day it aired and Viola and I looked at each other and said "Okay that was great...until the big dumb mechs messed it up." Honestly I was pretty luke warm about the show...it seemed to have merit but it also had an undeniably hokey quality. I just got a friend of mine hooked on it (it's the first anime he's really been exposed to) and he was very iffy about it because he watched the first two episodes and stopped...then he watched several straight through and it grew on him.
I think sadly one of the downfalls of Big O is you need to watch several episodes to get hooked on it. It's different from anything I'd seen before and I think maybe it was sort of a system shock. I just keep telling people to keep watching because they'll be surprised. It grows on you.
DracoFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2001, 05:23 AM   #54   [permalink]
Viola

Send a message via AIM to Viola Send a message via Yahoo to Viola
As Dracofirst said it will grow on you and you will love it once it does. It is really a great anime and I think that they animation suites the story, but that is my opinion.
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2001, 11:31 PM   #55   [permalink]
hyuga12
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to hyuga12 Send a message via Yahoo to hyuga12
... am i the only one who thinks that the mech is very spiffy looking? i think it pops up in the wrong times, and would probably be better if it was taken out, but i'm actually sick of all of the high tech stuff. sure i love evas and gundams, but this, for some odd reason caught my eye... i don't know, maybe it's the fact that it matches the town, the fact that it wears black just like roger , or the fact that the interior reminds me of old type writers and that you actually can follow HOW he pilots the darn thing. love it when he winds up than swings those lever things to use the arms. it just screams... uh... SPIFFY!!!
I can see WHY you don't like big o (mech not show) though. it seems more like a toy plot than anything else (actually, i think it WAS a toy plot... on the dvd, the original concept for Big-O was just to sell action figures...)

"Than don't be so delicate" - V.T. (Cowboy Bebop) as she cranks the volume on the stereo.

:wavey:

Last edited by hyuga12; 18-08-2001 at 11:48 PM.
hyuga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2001, 08:26 AM   #56   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
LMFAO!!!

LMAO! Oh my God that a funny title! :Lol:
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2001, 09:32 AM   #57   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
[sarcasm] LoL! Can you spam anymore? [/sarcasm]

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2001, 09:33 AM   #58   [permalink]
hyuga12
Executive Member

... gives a blank stare at black_knight

"Than don't be so delicate" - V.T. (Cowboy Bebop) as she cranks the volume on the stereo.

Old 25-09-2001, 12:58 PM   #59   [permalink]
kottonkandee

no offense to big o fans but i didn't really like it. anyways, im sure lots of ppl liked it since derez a forum for it. wel, my opinion wudn't really count since i've only watched about 2 or 3 eps of it. so im not really sure whether its good or not.
kottonkandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2001, 09:39 AM   #60   [permalink]
hyuga12
Executive Member

cute avatar kottenkandae! heh, it's cool if you don't like it... but can i ask WHY? that would help a lot... thanks