Old 22-04-2002, 02:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
Ken Akumatsu Art Auctioned at ACEN!

All work that sold at Auction at ACEN were hand drawn and colored that day by Ken Akumatsu himself! Heres a list of what was drawn and how much it sold for. All I have to say is that I was there, and damn... it was crazy.

Akumatsu Wedding Picture (Ken, Kens' Hot wife, Robert Dejesus and Roberts Wife) Donated to Roberts wife for 60 dollars by another bidder. That was nice of him.

1000$ US - Motoko
1500$ US - Naru and Tama
850$ US - Kitsune
2100$ US - Shinobu, Suu, and Tama

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2002, 03:04 PM   #2   [permalink]
Garv

This guy is pushing his luck.
Garv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #3   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Garv
This guy is pushing his luck.
OH... just a side note. This was an auction for CHARITY! All money was donated to the Chicago Childrens Hospital.

Old 22-04-2002, 06:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
Bradster
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Bradster Send a message via MSN to Bradster
Well, since LH was digital, there were no 'traditional' cells to sell, right?
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2002, 06:30 PM   #5   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradster
Well, since LH was digital, there were no 'traditional' cells to sell, right?
Am I not making myself clear or something?!? This is hand drawn stuff by Ken himself and you guys are wanting traditional cells of the anime?!? I dont' know if you guys are just not appreciating this or are just so hooked on the anime that you can't even take time to appreciate the work that Ken Akumatsu took to make the Manga that is Love Hina. If he hadn't started LH, there would be no anime for you guys to want.

Old 22-04-2002, 06:33 PM   #6   [permalink]
Neojin
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Neojin Send a message via AIM to Neojin
I appreciate it Cloak

Heck I bid 400 bucks on the Naru piece
Old 22-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #7   [permalink]
Rally
Forum Junkie

Some fans are truly loaded... specially the one that bought that Shinobu,Suu and Tama art.
Old 22-04-2002, 06:50 PM   #8   [permalink]
The Captain
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to The Captain
You were at the auction Cloak? Where in the room were you? I was waiting for the Love Hina sketches, but I had to catch my plane. My flight was at 2:12 and I left at 1:45 I was the guy with the big, green seabag. I was hoping to get the Motoko or Kitsune sketch, but both would've left me absolutely penniless.
Old 22-04-2002, 06:58 PM   #9   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Captain
You were at the auction Cloak? Where in the room were you? I was waiting for the Love Hina sketches, but I had to catch my plane. My flight was at 2:12 and I left at 1:45 I was the guy with the big, green seabag. I was hoping to get the Motoko or Kitsune sketch, but both would've left me absolutely penniless.
Damn! You were the guy who had to catch the plane?!? I was in front of Robert Dejesus' wife with the 3 other guys. I was the one with the black adidas hat. Honestly, I would have bid higher then 60 bucks... I would have bid up to 600 (even though I would have still been outbid)... I forgot my checkbook though. **sigh**

Old 22-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #10   [permalink]
The Captain
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to The Captain
Yeah, I was sitting in the row behind the front row to the right of the auction table wearing a blue shirt. I left and came back in mutlitple times to see whether the shuttle had come back. My hopes were pretty much dashed when they auctioned off the Matsubara sketches...I can't believe that guy behind me could bid that much! He didn't even look like he was out of high school!
Old 22-04-2002, 10:12 PM   #11   [permalink]
Bradster
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Bradster Send a message via MSN to Bradster
Quote:
Originally posted by cloakactive

Am I not making myself clear or something?!? This is hand drawn stuff by Ken himself and you guys are wanting traditional cells of the anime?!? I dont' know if you guys are just not appreciating this or are just so hooked on the anime that you can't even take time to appreciate the work that Ken Akumatsu took to make the Manga that is Love Hina. If he hadn't started LH, there would be no anime for you guys to want.
You were clear the first time. I was, however, replying to Garv's 'pushing his luck' post, in that if there were any types of cells/drawings to be sold, they would have to be custom-made by somebody- since because the anime was produced and animated digitally, no traditional cells exist.

And from a personal POV... I wouldn't want them anyway. I don't buy accessories from any anime. If I like the anime itself, I'll buy it. I might possibly buy the manga to something if I really like it, or it has a more compelling story than the anime. If I'm completely overawed, I might buy an OST. It stops there- no cells, pencil boxes, posters, wall scrolls, t-shirts, art books, phone cards, key chains, plushies, UFO catchers, 'video game based on...', CDs by the seiyuu which have no music from the series in them, etc. are present in my apartment, save for two items I won in a drawing at parties my anime club threw and we were all automatically entered into..

Last edited by Bradster; 22-04-2002 at 10:14 PM.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2002, 06:04 AM   #12   [permalink]
glitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradster

You were clear the first time. I was, however, replying to Garv's 'pushing his luck' post, in that if there were any types of cells/drawings to be sold, they would have to be custom-made by somebody- since because the anime was produced and animated digitally, no traditional cells exist.

And from a personal POV... I wouldn't want them anyway. I don't buy accessories from any anime. If I like the anime itself, I'll buy it. I might possibly buy the manga to something if I really like it, or it has a more compelling story than the anime. If I'm completely overawed, I might buy an OST. It stops there- no cells, pencil boxes, posters, wall scrolls, t-shirts, art books, phone cards, key chains, plushies, UFO catchers, 'video game based on...', CDs by the seiyuu which have no music from the series in them, etc. are present in my apartment, save for two items I won in a drawing at parties my anime club threw and we were all automatically entered into..
Good for you though, because by not buying all those merchandise you'll definitely be able to save up more $$$ to splurge on other anime or manga. I know because personally I have spent a mini-fortune on anime-related goods....its like an evil obsession kind of thing...once you start you can't stop. And futhermore if you have friends who are into this type of collecting...chances are you will be lured into this terrible pit of non-stop spending until you are near broke. But if you can restrain yourself from wild spending then its not so bad...and also collecting anime goods can give you a certain sense of satisfaction when you take your time to look through your collection of stuff and admire them from time to time. Its kinda fun too...and I treat it as a hobby of sorts Of course you must have the resources (i.e $$$) for it and a deep pocket as well.
glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2002, 08:28 AM   #13   [permalink]
Neojin
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Neojin Send a message via AIM to Neojin
To me...this is totaly different that just an "accessory" We are not talking a Pencil set, or stickers....we are talking a SIGNED work of art from the series creator. Not only that, but one you personaly were there to experience.

If you are a fan, that is like touching the anime itself, thats as close to being apart of true meaning of the show's spirt as you can get, second only to being in the studios themselves during conception.
Old 24-04-2002, 03:38 AM   #14   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
I am in agreement with all your opinions. However, I am also the sort who would get the DVDs, get the music CDs, and that's all for the anime. In the case of Evangelion or Gundam, I would also collect mecha models from the series, but that is because it is another of my obsession: building mecha models. I could never bring myself to buy posters, cels, and other accessories.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002, 09:47 AM   #15   [permalink]
Foxxe
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Foxxe
i'll sell my cat's kidney.