Old 02-08-2001, 02:46 PM   #1   [permalink]
deadpepper
Forum Junkie

Millenium Actress VS Perfect Blue

I was at the Fantasia Festival on July 28th where there was the World Premiere of Millenium Actress by Satoshi Kon, who also directed Perfect Blue. I saw Millenium Actress and found it to be rather flat, but I haven't seen Perfect Blue yet, so I'd like to know if there were some people out there who saw both movies and could give me some comments and comparisons.

(I know this subject's scope is limited to very few people, so those who would like to give me their opinions on Perfect Blue are welcome to do so.)
Old 03-08-2001, 11:57 AM   #2   [permalink]
pecan_nikki

i haven't heard of millenium,but i actually like perfect blue...my brother thought it would have made a better live action movie than anime,but i thought some of the effects (don't want to go into it so as not to spoil it) wouldn't have worked so well in a non animated situation...maybe i'm just easily fooled,but the ending suprised me and i thought it was pretty interesting...i say it's definitly worth the renting...what's millenium about?
pecan_nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 02:11 PM   #3   [permalink]
deadpepper
Forum Junkie

Millenium Actress is the latest movie by Satoshi Kon. The world premiere was July the 28th in Montreal, so it should be coming to other theaters around the world shortly.

In Millenium Actress, a tv reporter and a cameraman go to interview a famous actress (who is then 70 or so years old). They give her a key she lost a long time ago, a key which she treasured much. She then explains how a stranger she fell in love with gave her the key to remember him by, and how, through her acting carreer, she was never able to see him again.

The movie is presented in a very special way. The actress recalls her search for the stranger as if it was part of her different roles. (Imagine a samurai movie where the main female character is searching for a stranger who gave her a key) Meanwhile, the reporter and cameraman appear in every movie recalled as their own selves, as if they were watching the movie from within it.

It's a very good story, and the movie has a nice way of presenting it, but the emotions just aren't getting through. It's not confusing, but i didn't find it touching either.