Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up Perfect Blue

Being snowed in today, I decided to spend some time logging into my Netflix account and watching Perfect Blue via my computer. I saw Perfect Blue before -- on the ScyFy channel. But it was edited and broke every five minutes for commercials. Even so, then I still rated the movie 4 out of 5 stars. But watching it unedited, uncut and uninterrupted is a different experience. I now rate the movie 5 out of 5 stars.

Mima is a member of a popular singing trio, until she is talked by her agent into leaving the group to become an actress. As a pop idol, Mimaís image is squeaky clean. But as an actress, her roles are a bit more provocative and a bit controversial. She soon finds herself stalked by a fan who does not appreciate the new Mima.

Perfect Blue is a great study of a mind falling to pieces. Mima begins to crack seeing an alter ego threatening to take over her life. Add in a few twists and turns, and you have one suspenseful tale.

I pretty much expected the uncut version to contain a bit more violence than the one broadcasted on ScyFy. Also, I expected a bit of nudity. I was surprised as to the amount of nudity. I was really surprised at the display of pubic hair. I understand that showing pubic hair is a no-no in Japan, even in hentai. (If you havenít figured it out yet, this is one anime you want to keep out of the hands of children, and maybe early teens.) But the nudity in Perfect Blue is not fan service. It all actually serves the story line and enhances the atmosphere as Mima is pressured into things she really does not want to do.

Perfect Blue is one of the darkest animes I have ever seen. Except for the opening sequence, where the crowd is basically a backdrop, the animation and artwork are pretty good. I recommend this one.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just watched Perfect Blue for the third time, and the first time in over a year. Although I know the story, it still grabs me. This movie is now about 15 years old, but it still works.
Old 27-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #3   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
To me its still as confusing as ever

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I really should have said more in my previous posting on this thread. Indeed, after watching Perfect Blue for the third time I still have trouble at parts telling what was "reality" and what was not. But that is part of the film's charm. It makes the audience question. You are not sure where reality ends and Mima's paranoia begins.

For Perfect Blue, the confusion works.

Although I still am not sure what the title refers to.

I am going to try to get around to posting under Fan Fiction: "Mima Kirigoe," 15 Years Later. Sound good?