Old 04-02-2002, 11:05 PM   #1   [permalink]
Miss_Misato
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Miss_Misato Send a message via Yahoo to Miss_Misato
Orphen, anyone else's oppinion?

I really enjoy it, so far it has to be my favorite anime. It really has a great storyline and it does well in combining comedy with seriousness. What do you guys think?
Miss_Misato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:26 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
orphen is pretty good, its one of the unknown anime titles that i recomend to everyone
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2003, 02:47 AM   #3   [permalink]
Kawaii Filia
Executive Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Filia
It's one of my favorites. I've loved it ever since my cousin introduced the game to me early 2001. It was also one of my first PS2 games. As soon as the series was released on DVD I bought them all, and last year bought (bootlegged) Revenge, and created a site on the series since I couldn't find any info on Revenge when I wanted it. So I decided to share the wealth. I'm fond of the Orphen character, though my personal favorite still remains Hartia, the original cosplaying otaku!

Slayers fans, please visit my doujin! http://www.geocities.com/slayers_seek/
Kawaii Filia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2003, 03:00 AM   #4   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Yeah it's a great series. It's one of those series that a lot of people look over because there is something more "Popular" on the market. I was like that myself. I was buying all of this other Anime (Kenshin ect) but when there was nothing else to buy I thought that I would give it a shot. And to my surprise, it was a really good series.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:54 AM   #5   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

good series....

only seen a few episodes so far... but not bad at all
Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #6   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I splurged and bought the whole boxset, praying desperately that I would like it. Luckily, I do.

Some of the animation for the episodes was iffy, with even a few character design changes in some episodes. That brought down my opinion of the show just a tad, but then I watched the series basically almost in one sitting : so I don't think it would be as noticeable as if you watched it an episode at a time.

The characters were awesome. Orphen, of course, and the long-suffering Majic. I thought I would be annoyed by Cleao but luckily her character went through a lot of growth through the series, which is always good. In the end, the only characters who made me grit my teeth was that annoying Volcan and the meowing little Deep Dragon. I understand that Volcan's supposed to be comic relief, but he was pretty irritating. And Deep Dragon was supposed to be the lovable, kawaii sidekick, but every time he made that sound I just shuddered.

The ending battle, I thought, was a little anti-climactic, and it just freaked me out what happened with Azalie and Childman...

Overall, though, I think it's one of the more enjoyable series I've seen, and I want more. I hear that someone (ADV?) has picked up the second series, but my source is hardly credible. Do you guys know anything about that?

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 08:51 PM   #7   [permalink]
Wolfpac

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Noooooooooooooooo!!!
This can't be right. Someone else has actually watched this series. I'm in shock.

But I'm glad that you enjoyed it because I was beginning to feel that no one has. But I know what you mean by bad animation in a few episodes. I think it was around the Killing Doll episodes. As a person who doesn't notice the animation that much, even I saw this one. But what's wrong with Volcan. Yes he's egotistical, yes he's greedy, yes he's down right annoying, but he is quite funny. And as for the ending, well it is a little different that's for sure.

But ADV do hold the rights for Revenge but when they will dub them is anyone's guess. The problem is Orphen really didn't pull in the sales. So dubbing a series that will probably sell fewer copies than the original is a major factor as to why they are holding this off. But fingers crossed hey.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:03 AM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpac
But what's wrong with Volcan. Yes he's egotistical, yes he's greedy, yes he's down right annoying, but he is quite funny.
Hmmm... His character felt forced. He had a bunch of good scenes, true, and I did laugh at him a few times, but at the same time I felt that he was the stereotypical comic relief figure... and a little too stereotypical at that.

Another thing... was Dortin a girl or a boy? The subtitles make no sense... sometimes they refer to it as a "him" and other times as a "her". Very confusing.

******* SPOILERS **********

Quote:
And as for the ending, well it is a little different that's for sure.
A little? It's just a tad bit creepy, with Azalie ending up with the love of her life growing inside of her.... The question has to be asked: when Childman is born again, will he remember everything that happened? Or will he start over again with new memories and such? I can forsee an unhealthy love between mother and child here, and that's a little freaky.

dheu
Old 02-05-2003, 02:49 AM   #9   [permalink]
Wolfpac

Well I'm, pretty sure that Dortin is female. But Kawaii Filia will know for sure, she's the Orphen expert here. And she's seen Revenge so she got something on me.

But as for Azalie and Childman, that's a good point. If Childman keeps his memories then would that mean that Childman would have a thing for his mother? And that would take things into the Incest path which is never pretty. So I'm guessing that Childman would be reborn, while the original Childman would just be the father. But I suppose it's up to your own imagination
Old 05-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #10   [permalink]
Kawaii Filia
Executive Member

Dortin IS a male, it's even stated in the game book for the PS2 game. "When Volcan decided to run away from home, he dragged his unfortunate younger brother, Dortin, along with him. In contrast to his rough-and-tumble older brother, Dortin prefers reading a good book to seeking out adventure. Despite being made the frequent object of his brother's short-temper and bombastic comments, Dortin has never attempted to run away himself. Is it family loyalty, or lack of courage?" I personally say family loyalty. =^^=

If you want info on revenge, go here: http://www.geocities.com/orphenrevenge/

Being a Slayers fan, the Childman/Azalie relationship isn't a big deal. At the end of Slayers TRY, Valgaav was turned into a baby in an egg, which Filia adopted. While there wasn't a romantic connection, there was some sort of bond. I view the Childman/Azalie thing as a new beginning for them both, however she'd no doubt view him as their son.

Last edited by Kawaii Filia; 05-05-2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Thanks for the info! It would make sense that Dortin is a boy. His character design doesn't seem girlish in any way. It's a little interesting, though, that the subtitles could make such a mistake.

Poor Dortin. Dortin seems to have a great deal of courage. He doesn't act like he'd run away from anything. Besides, with Volcan as his older brother, he'd have to have a ton of courage! Volcan has a tendency to get them both into stupid situations....

As for the Childman/Azalie thing... it still seems a little bizarre to me. Although.... If Childman's soul was just reincarnated, then of course he wouldn't have any memories of it. Azalie would probably view him as her son, not the love of her life.

But frankly I doubt Azalie will be a stable mother. She's already shown that deprivation of love can drive her a little insane. Even though she realized her mistake in the end, the body count left in her wake should not be forgotten, and it shouldn't be forgotten that, even when she got rid of her dragon form, she didn't hesitate to go on killing those who got in her way. She may have repented, but all these actions bring her suitability as a mother into question.

dheu
Old 09-05-2003, 07:58 AM   #12   [permalink]
Kawaii Filia
Executive Member

When did the subtitles make a mistake?
Old 10-05-2003, 05:45 AM   #13   [permalink]
Wolfpac

Would Azalie make a good mother, now that is a good question. Now I don't know what sort of role Azalie has in Revenge or if she's even in it. So I've only got the original to go by. But I do think she would make a good mother. Yes she did go a bit crazy and sadistic after she wanted power, but she was a mother like creature to Krylancelo when they were growing up in the Tower of Fang so I think she would be a good mother. And let's face it, the only reason why Azalie wanted power so much was because of Childman. And because Azalie got Childman (Technically) she has no reason to have great power anymore. So I think she would make a good mother.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:28 AM   #14   [permalink]
Kawaii Filia
Executive Member

Azalie isn't in Revenge, nor there aren't even any references to her. The only reference to the first series are by Flamesoul regarding Flameheart and their mother.

I agree with Wolfpac regarding Azalie 100%. =^^=