Old 06-03-2002, 09:42 PM   #1   [permalink]
Cetacious
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to Cetacious
Question Japaneese metal?

Just wondering... I suppose not each and every japaneese listens to that disgusting JPop... And in Japan there are so many forms and reflects of the different art forms around the world, up to the Japaneese French style novell... Well, this ain't exactly about "anime music" but...
Is there Japaneese metal?
Old 06-03-2002, 10:12 PM   #2   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Ever heard of Animetal? That's one of the heavy metal bands from Japan. Hence their song is also called (you guessed it!), "Animetal"
Old 06-03-2002, 11:47 PM   #3   [permalink]
Takara

"disgusting JPop"? Chill, some people love it.

Hey, I got the Animetal Sailor Moon theme... I was wondering where that came from. Cool.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:35 AM   #4   [permalink]
Shijimi

Well there are lot's of punk bands, I don't know much about them, and there's some rock bands. Right now my fav. group is The Pillows, you might know them if you watch FLCL, I was about to go start a thread about J-rock when I saw this one... anyway I think I'll go do that now.

I downloaded a song by Dir en grey once, that may be considered metal... I dunno, I don't really like "metal" if you mean like Rage against the machine and metallica and stuff, I'm more a Green Day/ vandals/ offspring girl myself.

And not all Jpop is bad....
Shijimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2002, 03:57 PM   #5   [permalink]
Aiko
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Aiko
Um, X-Japan could be classified as heavy metal. And i'd always thought Dir en Grey had more of an industrial sound.
Old 28-03-2002, 11:37 PM   #6   [permalink]
BathingK9999

Send a message via ICQ to BathingK9999 Send a message via AIM to BathingK9999
Visual Rock

Glay is considered "Visual Rock" but I don't know if you consider that metal. Some of their songs are mellow guitar (ie "Piece of Freedom") but some like "Mermaid" is rock-ish. I dont' know, give it a try.

Luna Sea is hard to describe but it is similiar to Glay also (although it is sad they had to separate)...
"Asobi wa owari da, Shine!"
--1211 Shiki: Yaotome
--Yamagi Iori
BathingK9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #7   [permalink]
Aiko
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Aiko
Re: Visual Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by BathingK9999
Glay is considered "Visual Rock" but I don't know if you consider that metal. Some of their songs are mellow guitar (ie "Piece of Freedom") but some like "Mermaid" is rock-ish. I dont' know, give it a try.
GLAY is barely visual, but far from metal. They're pop-rock.

Quote:
Luna Sea is hard to describe but it is similiar to Glay also (although it is sad they had to separate)...
Bah, they had a good long run, and they were going down the road of mass appeal anyway. Luna Sea isn't really like Glay at all, whether you're comparing history, evolution of style, music, or demographic.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:34 PM   #8   [permalink]
3line

Send a message via AIM to 3line
Quote:
Originally posted by Shijimi

I downloaded a song by Dir en grey once, that may be considered metal... I dunno, I don't really like "metal" if you mean like Rage against the machine and metallica and stuff, I'm more a Green Day/ vandals/ offspring girl myself.
RATM is not metal, and Metallica is no longer metal. There is no way in hell that Green Day and Offspring can be considered metal. Metal is a well-defined genre of music that traces its roots back to Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, noted by distinct riff structures and (usually) strong lead guitars. This means that Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, etc are not metal bands, as they are more punk/hardcore influenced.

I think he means metal as in Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, Savatage, Testament, Dark Tranquity, Kreator, Dream Theater, Opeth, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Rhapsody, etc, etc.

I have heard of a Japanese death metal band, but I can't recall the name. I have heard that old Maiden and Priest albums are doing quite well in Japan currently, so there may very well be a metal scene soon.

On a side note, the intro for Trigun sounds like a sped-up Judas Priest from 1976. While it's not exactly metal, it's proto-metal.

Last edited by 3line; 11-04-2002 at 11:45 PM.
3line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2002, 01:14 AM   #9   [permalink]
Shijimi

Quote:
Originally posted by 3line

RATM is not metal, and Metallica is no longer metal. There is no way in hell that Green Day and Offspring can be considered metal.
Umm... yeah... sorry for my ignorance about metal.... I meant that, as opposed to metal, I like green day and offspring because they are NOT metal... I think you.. misunderstood... or something. Yeah.

Just had to clarify that
Shijimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2002, 09:09 AM   #10   [permalink]
matsu
Forum Junkie

have you even heard Glay's more recent releases? they've gone like reggae-ish o.O

Life goes on....

-----------------------------------------------
matsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2002, 10:34 PM   #11   [permalink]
MauveVandal
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to MauveVandal
Dude sorry 3line, but in my opinion I believe some of the bands you labled would be more 70's-80's hair metal. Don't get me wrong a lot of those bands are awesome of Arrgh-rated PIE, but they're are quite a few modern metal bands. But then again I'm being really unfair in what I name metal, but there are a lot of Christian Metal bands out there. Yeah a lot of people think Christian music is all gospel, others think that they're not real metal because "they don't live the rock-lifestyle". According to this one person I heard the rock-lifestyle is "money, drugs and sex" which isn't true, that was only the case with those drunk hicks Guns & Roses, Black Sabath, Montly Crew etc. If that where so Metallica would've never been considered "metal" I mean look at James a devote Catholic Boy (even though on the Kill Em' All cd there is a song about Satanism and all that... stuff). Music is just music, its not a lifestyle. A lot of people will just Christian metal to the side because its Christian, there are a lot of bands that are just plain awesome that you could find at MP3 like Luti-kriss, Society's Finest, Zao, Living Sacrifice, Outsight, Extol, Blisstap, Embodyment, the list goes on. And to get back to topic, I'd like to hear some Japanese metal.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:43 AM   #12   [permalink]
MauveVandal
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to MauveVandal
Did I just shut everyone up, or does no one care any more?
Old 22-06-2002, 12:47 AM   #13   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
If you like metal try bands like (I know some have been mentioned) Dir en Grey, X Japan, Malice Mizer, Luna Sea, Zilch, hide with Spread Beaver... not all metal but more fast and heavier than J-Pop.
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2002, 02:09 PM   #14   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by MauveVandal
According to this one person I heard the rock-lifestyle is "money, drugs and sex" which isn't true, that was only the case with those drunk hicks Guns & Roses, Black Sabath, Montly Crew etc.
Black Sabbath couldn't possibly be hicks, their British. As for Montly Crew, I do believe you mean Motley Crue. But I would not include Black Sabbath in the same class as the other two bands since they were the first metal band and they really do have great songs.

Anyone here into underground J-Punk and stuff like that?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #15   [permalink]
RenegadePriest
Executive Member

Just my opinion...

Quote:
GLAY is barely visual
Their style has become less extreme once they went mainstream but that's to be expected. VK fans still don't even begin to compete with the buying power of j-pop fans.

Dir En Grey does have an industrial tinge but Pierrot is more industrial (if you're looking for that sound).

I don't know how "metal" you want to go but here are some VK bands that might apply (whether they are good or not is up to you to decide):

Aliene Ma'riage
d.p.s
Sigh
Outrage
Loudness

-------------

As for J-punk, I've listened to here and there but my friends keep trying to get me into J-billy. Interesting stuff.
RenegadePriest is offline   Reply With Quote