Old 26-06-2002, 05:55 AM   #16   [permalink]
Aiko
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Aiko
Re: Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by RenegadePriest
Their style has become less extreme once they went mainstream but that's to be expected. VK fans still don't even begin to compete with the buying power of j-pop fans.
It's my understanding that GLAY was never visual. When it was created by Takuro, it was about hard rock (meh, or punk) and pop. In fact, they were rejected by visual livehouses for being too "pop", and rejected by pop for being too rock. If I recall correctly, Jiro was in a visual band, but quit visual kei and wanted to do rock music. That's when Jiro joined GLAY.

From what I can tell from their early work on whatever music label they're on, they had a purely rock image, and have steadily worked in very mild aspects of visual rock (hair and make-up).

Yeah, visual bands tend to refine their image as they become more and more popular, but GLAY never even considered themselves visual.
Old 26-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #17   [permalink]
RenegadePriest
Executive Member

Whoops! I guess it was a mistake on my part.
RenegadePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:20 PM   #18   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Re: Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by RenegadePriest
As for J-punk, I've listened to here and there but my friends keep trying to get me into J-billy. Interesting stuff.
Why am I afraid to ask what J-billy is?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:05 AM   #19   [permalink]
BigShot Jordan
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigShot Jordan
I'd say X-Japan's older stuff (like on "Vanishing Vision" and "Blue Blood) should be considered metal, power metal to be more precise.
Dir En Gray is...different. It's hard to really associate them with any particular style.

see you space cowboys.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:09 PM   #20   [permalink]
madatpaperboy

i know people said this before, but X-Japan is a big funny hairmetal band, but i like them, they're good.
Old 15-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #21   [permalink]
Cetacious
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to Cetacious
Quote:
I think he means metal as in Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, Savatage, Testament, Dark Tranquity, Kreator, Dream Theater, Opeth, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Rhapsody, etc, etc.
Err... crap, no head-shaking-metal-sign-doing smiley around here...
But yeah, that's what I ment. Stuff like Blind Guardian, Thyrfing, Slayer, Emperor, Stratovarious, Arcturus, etc.
Old 19-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #22   [permalink]
SolBadguy

Originally Posted by Project Akira
Black Sabbath couldn't possibly be hicks, their British. As for Montly Crew, I do believe you mean Motley Crue. But I would not include Black Sabbath in the same class as the other two bands since they were the first metal band and they really do have great songs.

Anyone here into underground J-Punk and stuff like that?
Actually, Black Sabbath wasn't the first Metal band, but they were close. Though you wouldn't think it Led Zeppelin was indeed the first Metal band.

Here is a list of some louder, more rock/metal bands rather than the childish music J-pop emmits:

Dir en Grey
X-Japan
The GazettE
Mucc
Alice Nine
Unsraw
Deathgaze
Due' Le Quartz
Pierrot
Kagerou
D'espairsRay
ChelseA
Aikaryu
D
Phantasmagoria

Though this seems small, all the bands have their different sounds and such. Also, lots are broken up... such as Due' Le Quartz(Miyabi changed his name to Miyavi and became a pop/rock solo artist) and so on.
SolBadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #23   [permalink]
Nayla

I love GazettE! They're one of my fave bands (altho I'm into more English stuff atm). Their older stuff rocks, and I lub the newer stuff too. Some of it's gotten softer though (like the songs Cassis and Reila) but still amazing.

Alice Nine is really good too, but they're more Oshare Kei.
Nayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #24   [permalink]
crazyplay

Yeah there are like :
Aliene Ma'riage
d.p.s
Sigh
Outrage
Loudness
crazyplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #25   [permalink]
sidewinder
Forum Addicted

*swoops in from out of nowhere*

I don't really listen to much Japanese metal, but I do know of Concerto Moon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6GvTcyD-LE

I like power/prog/neo-classical/symphonic/etc metal. Favorite is a French band called Heavenly (their album Dust to Dust is the greatest album ever made, and the song Miracle is the greatest song ever). I also really like a Russian band called Epidemia.

If you like Stratovarius, be sure to listen to Warmen.

edit- oh and of course this topic wouldn't be complete without this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjP4oS0DwA and the reverse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4ySrYNGhI lmao

vBulletin Message:
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Last edited by sidewinder; 03-08-2009 at 01:58 AM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #26   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
LOL, I love this. Answering a question seven years later ftw. Hopefully he found some non-J-pop artists after all this time.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I've always had a really hard time classifying music. What makes one song a "metal" song, and another song a "proto-metal"? What makes one song "power metal" and another "progressive metal"? For that matter, what's the difference between "industrial," "metal," and straight "rock"?

So maybe I'm off-base here, but I've always considered Sex Machineguns "metal." I can't believe they weren't mentioned here before, in all the years since this thread was opened.

Sex Machineguns - Suspense Gekijou. Incidentally, the absolute best music video ever, ha ha ha.

Also, I think Galneryus is considered metal too, although I'm not a fan of theirs.