Old 25-08-2002, 01:39 PM   #1   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Racing anime or manga series?

Well I've recently introduced my little brother to the wonderful world of anime, and he's hooked. Only now, he's looking for some racing manga, like Formula 1 or Nascar or something.

Can anyone suggest anything? I've racked my brains and all I can think of is Speed Racer, Speed Racer 1997 series, Transformers maybe, Gunsmith Cats (but um not for 11-year-olds if you know what I mean) and uh that's it. And those aren't even manga, just anime. (except for Cats) I know that F1 is big in Japan, surely there must be some racing manga?

(He also likes most of the anime on TV. You know, Pokemon, Medabots, Digimon, Crayon Shin-chan, DBZ, Gundam, Hamtaro, and he likes fansubbed Angelic Layer.)

Anyway, help would really be appreciated!!!! Any ideas?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2002, 02:15 PM   #2   [permalink]
Foryth
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Foryth
Initial D is a racing anime. I haven't seen it myself so I can't really comment on it, but I know there are people who like it around AB who should be able to.
Old 25-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #3   [permalink]
Yumiko
Forum Addicted

Initial D is about downhill street racing and is my favorite anime after Kenshin. It's a great show. Lot's of nice cars. And glamourizing the drift. Features the Takahashi brothers who are very handsome and their drool-worthy rotary engine cars, the RX7. ::sniff:: Stupid Mazda doesn't make the RX7 anymore. Morons. Oh, and the Hachi-Roku is mighty noteworthy and is the star of the show.

I know most people here would prefer grip-style racing, but the drift is still the coolest, hands down, no questions about it. I still believe the drift can be faster than grip style if you drift well. Downhill that is.

vroom vroom!!
Yumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2002, 10:00 PM   #4   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Inital D! Thanks so much. I will pass this on. Looks like you've had a hand in converting another soul to the anime/manga cult...uh I mean made another fan... (Our numbers are multiplying hehe.)

Has anyone seen the You're Under Arrest manga? Does that invovle a lot of car chases? I'm just thinking comedy+action+female traffic cops=lots of cool car chases. But I'm just guessing, I've never seen/read it...
Old 26-08-2002, 04:56 AM   #5   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

(He also likes most of the anime on TV. You know, Pokemon, Medabots, Digimon, Crayon Shin-chan, DBZ, Gundam, Hamtaro, and he likes fansubbed Angelic Layer.)

If he likes those animes like Pokemon, Digimon and Angelic Layer you should get him some Dragon Drive which is in the same genre and is currently being fansubbed

I think Your Under Arrest features quite a few car chases, check out Ex-Driver as well (released by Mediablasters)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #6   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

Another one is Cyber Formula which is more futuristic and not as realistic as Initial D but, good luck finding it in english though. I don't know if it's recommended for kids but the little amount I've seen, it looks suitable and it has really good art too.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2002, 04:04 PM   #7   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
yeah the Youre under arrest 4 ep OAV is a racing anime sort of.

Don't bother with the other YUA TV Series if you want to see racing It's very different

ex-Driver is a pure racing anime thougfh. 6 eps
Old 26-08-2002, 06:28 PM   #8   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Thanks everyone. I'm noting all these series...Inital D, Cyber X, YUA OVAs, Ex-Driver, Dragon Drive...

Dragon Drive huh? I think I saw the opening sequence somewhere, it looked like pretty good animation quality for its genre. Ususally those robot-card games-catch em all type shows look a little...different. I don't know, more rounded and less angular? Just childish-looking but Dragon Drive looked pretty good. I wonder if the story matches that...
Old 29-08-2002, 09:41 PM   #9   [permalink]
raymojo
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Yumiko
drool-worthy rotary engine cars
<- Speaking of rotary engines...
RX-8 coming out this February. Followed by a coupe version of the Miata, and also reportedly a rotary powered Miata later yet.
If the RX-8 is successful, then reportedly Mazda will follow up the RX-7 with another pure rotary powered sports car (, although not neccesarily named the RX-7, but a clear predecessor)

And finally something about anime:
jennwenn- Initial D is probably your best bet.
raymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2002, 07:08 PM   #10   [permalink]
GiZMO
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to GiZMO
Initial D is awsome as dookie.. What's the 'Main Car' called? The one everyone envies except for the driver. The CG drift scenes are tight.
GiZMO is offline   Reply With Quote