Old 15-12-2004, 05:35 AM   #16   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Today in Class 5-2

A short one I found recently.

Today in Class 5-2 by Sakuraba Coharu

Genre: Shounen, Comedy, Ecchi

Experience the 5th grade all over again. Join Satou Ryota and his classmates as they live their school days in class 5-2. Then again, 5th grade would have been quite... entertaining if ours was the same as those in class 5-2.

Yea yea, lame synopsis. I couldn't think of a good one. This one's a simple, short manga revolving around 8 5th graders in class 5-2 of their elementary school. The main character, and primary focus of the manga, is of course Ryota.

This is basically a comedy manga. There is light romance, and plenty of ecchiness as well. Um... mind you, the ecchi scenes do involve 5th graders, so yea. Remember, it's comedy! Not pr0n!! Don't be thinking like that now!

*AHEM*

Anyway, this was a fun read. Short, funny stories within short chapters, but unfortunately, only one volume's worth.

This was scanslated by Jinmen Juushin.
Old 23-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #17   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Dirty Work

I got way too much things to do, and only 10% of the time to do it in. Therefore, I'm copping it and throwing in a short one because I'm lazy, hahaha. *ahem*

Dirty Work by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki & Takaha Mako

Genre: Shounen, Drama

Hmm, no fancy synopsis attempt this time. I'm writing this without the manga in front of me (not on my home comp) so this is off of memory. Anyway, a simple story about two childhood friends, with a slight twist. Romantic elements are touched, but it's more a story about "true friendship" told in a bit of an unorthodoxed manner.

In any case, I found it touching, especially given the length. Yea yea, this is a cop out write up, but hell, I still thought the manga was fine.

This is just a one-shot scanslated by Jinmen Juushin.
Old 29-12-2004, 02:45 AM   #18   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

School Rumble

Hmm... hmm... ..... hmm.... Yep. I got nothing for here. Then again, I guess I don't need anything up here...

School Rumble by Kobayashi Jin (I think)

Genre: Shounen, Comedy, Romance

Meet the cast:

-Tsukamoto Tenma is a bit slow.. no, really slow... actually, she's extremely slow. She's a little childish and immature, but has alot of heart and diligence, especially when it comes to "suki."
-Harima Kenji is, to put it nicely, a delinquent. He looks like a 30 year old biker, acts tough, fights all the time, skips school... and so forth. But when it comes to "suki," he becomes a bit.. weak.
-Karasumaru Ooji is... wierd. He looks plain, doesn't stand out, and seems oblivious to his surroundings. Basically, he's wierd.

Tenma likes Ooji. Ooji doesn't know it. Kenji likes Tenma. Tenma doesn't know it. Tenma and Kenji go through much hardships and come up with some rather unorthodoxed methods to get themselves noticed by their liked ones. And with this, the story opens up...

I think that sounds good. I wasn't sure what to write up about because everything I tried ended up being long. The comedy style of this manga reminds me a bit of Azumanga Daioh. It's kind of "out there" and random, and out of no where, I'll start laughing out loud. It's not really really like Azumanga Daioh, it just somewhat reminds me of how I was when I read that.

I just find this one extremely funny. I laugh alot reading it. It's more like, short episodes going through it because all the chapters are short. Still, it's alot of fun, and the characters make it that much more fun.

Five volumes have been scanslated by the now defunct, Mangainc (meaning they will no longer be continuing this series). Yanime recently picked up this series, but they are starting from the beginning. So far, they have released the first two volumes.
Old 29-12-2004, 05:55 AM   #19   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

I'm going to buck the trend and make a post in here, not even a post for a manga! This goes out to a Korean Manwha by the name of Priest, by Min-Woo Hyung.

Type: Spaghetti Western, Horror, Adventure, (and most definitely) shonen
Gore: A lot, though mostly involving undead hordes or demons. Little to no nudity (don't remember particularly), no sex. Much blasphemy.

First, my friend Paul's review: "Holy crap. That filled in all my holes in Catholic history. I'm afraid." Paul is a lifelong, devout Catholic who takes his religion with a grain of salt. I, on the other hand, am in no position to make such a judgement call.

Ivan Isaacs was adopted by a rich man on the American Frontier (think Texas, Arizona, that kind of frontier, not like the Oregon Territory). Eventually, he comes to realize he is in love with his adopted family's daughter. The father also realizes this and sends him off to Catholic school in the Vatican. There he has some odd experiences, which lead to him being sent to the Frontier again, near his hometown. His brilliant theories and thinking throw the Frontier and world into danger, as he unleashes a great evil which had been sealed up for centuries.

Trust me, that's the least spolierrific review I can write while still giving an actual clue as to what is going on.

Min-Woo Hyung's artwork is amazing: He does no coloring except for the covers (which are absolutely awesome), but does exceptional drawings. Shading isn't as existent as it could be, but it works very very well all the same. The dark scenes are dark and the not-so-dark ones not-so-dark. There are few if any light, happy, scenes.

Tokyopop has this manwha licensed and 13 volumes are available as yet and there does not look to be an end in sight (last I read, Ivan had completed only a small part of his large task).
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #20   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by oppa
A short one I found recently.

Today in Class 5-2 by Sakuraba Coharu
Recently finished reading that, quite amusing reminded me of Azumanga Diaoh but with 5th grader fanservice ... (quite a few panty shots here and there) and yes it would of been nice if it was more then 20 odd chapters as I think it was too short to get to know all the characters well besides Ryota and Chika.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #21   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ichigo Channel

Yay, two posts in a row that weren't mine!

Ichigo Channel by Tajima Mimi

Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy

Synopsis taken from Shoujomagic. Sorry, I got lazy.

"Ichiko's brother Ken is willing to do whatever it takes to become an idol... including turning his sister into a boy to form the male idol group TRIJET! The third member of the group turns out to be Kanzaki -- the rising star who tried to kiss Ichiko on the street one day because she was such a cute girl! It's a good thing he doesn't recognize her when she's dressed as a boy, though, because Ichiko musn't tell anyone who she really is for the full year she's agreed to be part of TRIJET. But it's impossible for Ichiko to spend every waking moment as a male, and when she ventures onto the streets as a female, she bumps into Kanzaki again. To keep her identity a secret, she tells him her name is "Ichigo" ("Strawberry"). Having no idea that she's really TRIJET member "Ichigou" -- whom he detests -- or "Ichiko" -- the girl he almost kissed... Kanzaki begins to fall for "Ichigo"!"

This one might be more popular then I might think, but as I stated in a previous post, I'm not that aware of shoujo titles and their popularities as compared to other genres. In any case, oh well!

I don't know, shoujo manga is like pringles or ruffles chips or something. Once I try one, I can't stop. I swear I'm overloading on shoujo mangas lately, haha. Anyway, this one stood out for me. At it's core, the plot is your typical romantic comedy with it's share of love triangles, rivals, and the like, but it has it's twist. Hmm, yes, it's cross dressing, but I try not to think of so negatively, heh.

I don't know, I guess the characters were interesting... Ichiko isn't as angsty as other MCs in these types of mangas... um.. funny, yea. Okok, I'm not quite sure why, specifically, I like this one, but I do. No one thing really stands out, but as a whole, it's a good read.

Five volumes have been released by Shoujomagic.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #22   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Midori no Hibi

I finally finished this series today, along with the anime, so I'll throw it in here along with Ichigo Channel.... just for the hell of it.

Midori no Hibi by Kazurou Inoue

Genre: Shounen, Romance, Comedy

Sawamura Seiji is your basic tough guy. He fights all the time (and wins) and is feared by many. Even so, he's still a young man, and wants a girlfriend. Of course, he always gets rejected... Kasugano Midori goes to a different school from Seiji. Yet, she's had a crush on him for several years, but has never had the courage to approach him, and tell him. Then, one day, Seiji wakes up and sees Midori in his room... and she had become his right hand.

I love this series, and followed it religiously but due to other demanding concerns (stupid FFXI owned me), I forgot about it until recently. Hell, I'm still finding things I neglected due to my... concerns. Suffice to say, I finished the rest of the series today (~4 volumes) as well as marathoning the anime. Due to the anime, I'm sure this series has more recognition, but I think it's deserving to be in this thread anyway.

For those not aware... yes, the concept is very weird. Even for a guy like me, who's read countless mangas and watched many animes, I still find it very strange. But, that's what makes this one stand out from your typical romantic comedies. I should emphasize the comedy part, because it's incredibly funny. Every single character makes me laugh, it's not just one or two that stand out.. they all have distinct personalities and separate antics that just make me laugh out loud way too often. Haha, just thinking about some parts is making me laugh right now, like Seiji's sister... wahahahahaha, she's too much. And her animated self is even funnier. (Man, how did I ever forget about this?!)

Hell, the whole "Midori is Seiji's right hand" thing is so intriguing, that my roommate marathoned the anime with me. I should note that a) he's not a big romantic/comedy buff and b) he rarely watches more then a few eps of any anime in one sitting. Truly disturbingly entrancing, I should say.

Hmm.. I read that this one was recently licensed, but I have not been able to track down any info from any official sources. Therefore, I shall only give a hint... kekeke. All eight volumes have been scanslated by "a character from Peanuts." Hehe, that's all you get!
Old 22-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #23   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Kimi Shika Iranai

Not too much on my plate lately, so I'll throw one in that I read a lil while back.

Kimi Shika Iranai by Yoshizumi Wataru

Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy

Totoki Atsumu has never fell in love before. He's spent 16 years and never showed interest in anyone.. that is, until the fateful day he meets Kurihara Akane. As their encounters increase, Atsumu learns a little more about Akane, until one day, he finds out her biggest secret... Akane, who is the same age as Atsumu, had once been married and is now a divorcee!

Wow, that's probably the most compact yet informative synopsis I ever wrote. Anyway, this is another one by Yoshizumi (Mint Na Bokura), which is probably why I liked it. The story is a simple one, your typical romantic love story, but with the whole "divorcee" issue, it gets slightly more complicated. In the end, it's still a simple romantic comedy.

The story is short and sweet, just two volumes long. Through some research, it seems Yoshizumi rushed the conclusion because she wanted to take a long-needed break. I'm not for sureif the ending was rushed, but the last few chapters do feel rushed, so it could be possible. In any case, I still enjoyed the series and the ending, so no biggie.

Heh, I think I've read nearly all of Yoshizumi's works, hehehe. She reminds me of a shoujo version of Ranma 1/2... the style of humor she uses is somewhat unique as was Ranma 1/2 for shounen stories.

This series is complete at two volumes and was scanslated by Toriyama's World.
Old 24-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #24   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Flowers

This one had such an odd appeal about it, that I had to read it...

Flowers by Yoko Nihonbashi

Genre: Drama, Mature - Mild Nudity, Mild Adult Situations (Non-Graphic)

*Short synopsis stolen from Kotonaha cuz, it was pretty damn good*

A mysterious disease. A young man fated to die. A woman whose love accompanies him to the unavoidable end.

Just a lil one-shot I read just now. It turned out to be a solid read. Bittersweet in the end, but hardly unsatisfactory. The strong analogy to life is very interesting. All in all, I liked it.

As stated, this is just a one-shot scanslated by Kotonoha.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #25   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Aishiteruze Baby

I read this one recently, just after I marathoned the anime. Very cute series.

Aishiteruze Baby by Yoko Maki

Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance

Kippei is a playboy, who suddenly has to take care of his 5 year old niece, Yuzuyu, due to her mother suddenly disappearing. Now, Kippei's world is turned upside down and here begins the story of Kippei and Yuzuyu, and their new life together...

Yea, something like that. This series isn't new, and the anime's been long since done, so I won't get too into this one since, if anything, I'm the late one checking it out.

In any case, a fun read. I really started reading this to see the differences from the anime, and to see how it truly ends (tho it's not finished yet). I've read the ending differs from the anime, and I'm dying to know how it does end. I've almost read spoilers for the manga ending like 8053094580 times. Thankfully I've avoided doing that so far, but I don't know how long I can last...

If you liked the anime, the manga is more of the same, but not as slow paced. Late volume 4 and what's out for volume 5 is a bit different, but nothing that significant. Anyway, can't wait for more... hmm, maybe I'll post in the anime thread too for the hell of it...

Four volumes, and a few chapters of volume five, have been scanslated by Dragon Voice.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:09 PM   #26   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ichigo Mashimaro

Hehe, another fun one that's like Azumanga Daioh.

Ichigo Mashimaro by Barasui (I think)

Genre: Comedy

A sorta "slice-of-life" manga, riddled with comedy, revolving around 5 girls.

This one is cute and very funny, especially Miu... I swear, she's like a mix of Osaka and Tomo from AD... too funny I tells ya.

That's all I got. It's just... funny. I don't know how else to describe it, hehe.

For those interested, you can also check out the trailer for the upcoming animated adaptation of this manga: http://www.ichigomashimaro.com/ .

Three volumes have been scanslated by Akatsuki Manga.

EDIT: Oh yea, a minor warning. If you're adverse to (ever so mildly ecchi) loli-related art, stay away. No, I'm not into that stuff either, but a good comedy manga is a good comedy manga and as long as no lines are crossed, I can accept it. Where your line is drawn, well, that's something you have to figure out. For comparison, it's about as "bad" as Today in Class 5-2.

EDIT2: If I lived in Japan, I think Monthly Dengeki Daioh would be my favorite serialized magazine, hahaha. *Ahem* I think I'm done now with edits.

Last edited by oppa; 08-02-2005 at 07:29 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #27   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai

More shoujo to overload mi breiiiinnn...

Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai by Yazawa Ai

Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance, School

Saejima Midori is a very outgoing, friendly girl who's easy to get along with. She just entered the newly opened Hijiri Academy as one of the first year high school students. New friends, events, opportunities, and romances await her new life at this school.

This is a very light-hearted manga focused around Midori. Romance is a key part of it, but after reading what's out so far, it's more about the characters and their interactions as friends and classmates then just the romantic elements... tho, don't get me wrong, that is a large part of the plot.

Still, it's a fun read. I find it nice to read manga like this without so much angst that my throat feels like it wants to eat itself. (Don't ask me what that means, but for some reason, I feel it belongs here).

Two volumes have been scanslated by Dragon Voice.
Old 19-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #28   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki

Genre: Science-Fiction/Fantasy

Yes this comic is by that Miyazki. It's his only work in comics and it's a masterpiece. It tells the story of Princess Nausicaa, a girl who has as much love for her people as she does for the mysterious Ohmu who populate the landscape of a ravaged earth. However, Nausicaa one day becomes caught up in war that she neither wants to take part in nor has a choice in her participation.

My description above doesn't do justice to the comic itself so just read it already. This is just a gorgeous comic. Miyazaki's line work (you can tell the man is compensating for his usual brilliant use of color) is just phenomenal in the comic. The characters are rich and wonderful. I think that a lot of people don't give Miyazaki credit for creating three-dimensional characters and his ability to do so shines here.

Someone on these boards years ago told me to read this comic. I finally got around to doing so this year and I'm glad that I did. It's the best $70 I've spent so far this year.

Viz last year released the series in a set of 7 volumes printed at I think 8 1/2 by 11 and with beautiful sepia ink (which is how it was published in Japan). They're $9.95 each and certainly worth the money.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #29   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ichiban!!!

I've been hearing more and more things about Nausicaa lately.. maybe it's a sign to finally check it out. Once my funds get sorted out, I'll have to put this one up on top my priority list.

And for my post... did you guess it? Of course you did... shoujo...

Ichiban!!! by Yoshikawa Arata

Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance

Hinako, during her 2nd year of middle school, ends up moving to the big city because of her fathers work. The new school she enters was much more then she expected. It turns out that it used to be an all-male school, and she is only one of 3 girls in her class!

Simple romantic comedy, done in the way shoujo does best. I just found a certain draw to this one, and felt compelled to post. Also, it's probably the first time I have actually seen a complete love square. By complete, I do mean that the relationships follow the path of a square.. did that even need an explanation? Meh, whatever...

Short, two volume series, but only up to three chapters in volume 2 have been scanslated by ShoujoMagic.
Old 23-02-2005, 05:00 AM   #30   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

S+m

Yep, another shoujo. This one didn't stand out but it had something different about it so I chose to throw this one in along with Ichiban!!!.

S+M by Sumoto Amu

Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance, Mature: Mild Nudity and Adult Situations (Non-Graphic)

Ryou has a huge complex about her big breasts, and ends up being hounded by more then her share of perverts. Then she meets Masaki, who saves her from a pervert. She wonders if she'll ever see him again, when suddenly, her mother gets her a tutor... and it's Masaki! She gains a sudden interest in him because he doesn't seem to be affected by her big breasts. In fact, he seems really cool and composed, to the degree that he comes off as being cold. They take a break and go to Masaki's school, which is a prestigious school and one that Ryou is aiming for. At the school, Masaki suddenly changes personalities, and is all over Ryou and her big breasts, just like a pervert! She runs away from him, and bumps into someone outside... and it's Masaki! And suddenly, he's become unaffected and cold again. What's going on?!

Whew, that's alot. Um, that's like most of the first chapter I think, haha. I left it off at where the sudden plot twist was at.

I found this one appealing because it strayed away from the typical shoujo story and plot (of those I've read thus far). The main character has a figure that stands out and the relationship twists were unusual, and unexpected. It felt sudden, but that was due the the length of this manga. If it ran for a few more volumes, I think it could've turned out much better.

The thing I thought was... almost... horrid.. was the ending. It's not just that she didn't hook up with the guy I thought she would (and the one I prefered, given her own personality, and all the backstories), but it also felt like it got cut off. I don't know, maybe I missed something... this could be attributed to the length as well.

One last comment is for the side stories. I noticed alot of shorter, 1-3 or so volume shoujo mangas have side stories in each volume. Usually, they're just about some random person and generally unaffiliated with the main story. I liked this one because a couple of the side stories were related to the main story (and/or it's characters) which was nice. You get more back story without interupting the flow of the main story.

Whew whew whew.... I wrote alot of a manga that I just barely felt I should put here.. hehe.

ShoujoMagic has completed the scanslation for all three volumes of this series.