Old 07-12-2004, 07:35 PM   #1   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Parents, where are they???

Do japanese parents die a lot in japan or what? In almost every anime, the kids seems to miss one or both of their parents. Either their dead or their not there(in some foreign country). What does this say about japanese sociaties or is it just a hassle to include parents in the storyline. Does this suppose to strenght the character in his/her resolve? Seems kinda silly to me to have some kids living on their own without any guidance whatsoever, the lack of involvement by parents(guardians) in their everyday life seems kinda out of the ordinary, still its a common thing in anime.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #2   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
maybe because the characters are at a point in their lives (teenagers) where parents aren't a big part of theirs. Or also, not having a parent forces a person to grow up and mature quicker. So if the character doesn't have parents, it is easier to believe that they are capable of doing things that normal kids couldn't do. Truth of Correspondence.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 PM   #3   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Talking

I think it's the save the main character the trouble of explaining to his parents why 5 gorgeous babes have moved into the house,that he's skipping school to fight monsters on his mecha and there's a portal to another world in his bathroom.

Oh,and the cute little alien with telekinetic powers that keeps moving everything in the house!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #4   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

Simple. It's because the shows you speak of are watched by children/teens and are targeted towards just children/teens. Same as there are animes just for little girls and little boys.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #5   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

it would probably be too much character development. if you had parents for every single main character in a series, it'd get pretty crowded

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:09 AM   #6   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

That's true,just look at Marmalade Boy.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #7   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
1 character's cheaper than 2. They always cut back on character numbers if possible to save funding and time.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #8   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
now that i think about it, there are alot of animes without any parents. most of the animes that i've seen either have one parent or none at all.

i'm trying to think of an anime that i've seen where the main character has both parents, and are actually shown in the anime.
cryptic soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #9   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

What kinda of a message do you want to relay to the world. Lets kill the parents because they are inconvenient. Lets all leave home, because they nag about the 5 girls in love with you, which you don't have control over. Do parents really want their kids to look at an anime character and say mom seems I will be better off without you, maybe then the girls will flock to me like ants to a picknick basket.
I'm not saying that every character should have their parents shown, just the leading ones that matters, it give a character personality, give them dimensions, a voice that objects to the absurdety of it all(like who wouldn't objects to kids going to war).
Old 08-12-2004, 05:47 PM   #10   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

I don't think of the character's like that. I never really think about it unless the topic is brought up. I definetly don't get the impression that I would be better off without mine

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:38 PM   #11   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Usually we don't think about this because its what we come accustomed to(happens all the time in anime). I however stop to think from time to time as to why the deathrates of parents in animes are so high, especially when japanese peoples have the highest age average in the world. It just seems to me they just have to kill off one or both of the parent(s) just so they could say that boy/girl grew up even stronger inspite of growing up without guidance.

Is it really that expensive to add some character development in the form of adults whom actually has something sensible to say? Most animes nowadays sure has a lot of fillers, which could be use wisely elsewhere.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #12   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Originally Posted by Takahashi
Do japanese parents die a lot in japan or what?
Ha, I love this line.

But to answer you question, they kill them off a lot so that a character can have strength. When a character loses his parents, he is forced to be strong and thus get over everything that is coming at him. If he/she has lost their parents then they have lived through one of the hardest thing that can happen to you. I bet most of you love you parents more than anything in this world, so if they died while you are at a young age then you have gone through a bad pain and low point in your life. And not matter what happens, the character is strong for this. Nothing worst can happen. This makes our hero perfect because his/her life can't get any worse than what happened in their past.

And besides, you don't want to see a character running back to Mommy and Daddy telling them to help.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #13   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Actually I want their mommy to beat the crap out of any stupid commander who endangered their kids, by placing them in some dangerous weapon of mass destruction
Old 08-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #14   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Well Dragonball Z has Chi-Chi. She even scares Goku!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:31 PM   #15   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Either she is never around or daddy is off destroying some planet with his always growing power and new dissapearing tricks