Old 20-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #1   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Exclamation Claymore fans unite!

I started reading Claymore when it was released in the USA a couple of months ago. So all of you claymore fans can come here and talk about the best new manga around.

"It's just half-breeds and monsters killing each other out here!"

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #2   [permalink]
fma fanatic

Location: somewhere in my messed up head reading manga all day
yes! i love claymore!
spoiler! how is it that clare has teresa's blood and flesh in her and she's at rank 47?
fma fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #3   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Originally Posted by fma fanatic
yes! i love claymore!
spoiler! how is it that clare has teresa's blood and flesh in her and she's at rank 47?
Because Clare is only 1/3 yoma instead of 1/2 like the rest of the Claymores are?

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #4   [permalink]
fma fanatic

Location: somewhere in my messed up head reading manga all day
maybe she's kind of new?
raven13:i am waiting for the one to change me
me:*hires plastic surgeon*
raven13:not that kind!
fma fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #5   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I don't think 'newness' has anything to do with ranking, more to do with the power of the yoma within you. Priscilla, prior to her 'awakening', was a relatively new Claymore, yet she was ranked number 2 shortly after joining the organisation.

Old 17-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by fma fanatic
yes! i love claymore!
hmmmm ... my thoery on that is because of the ah ... unusual way in which the genetics were transferred. (we can only speculate with what is briefly shown ) ... but I am thinking that there may be a biological/magical maturation period that has to be acounted for ... after all the others (If I am reading the manga right) were created from the start to be a hybrid ... in Clares case it is after the fact and relatively late in life for such significant biological changes (although all of this is moot if the explanation is just magical haha)

... I predict that this fusion will eventually manifest into a superior hybrid that may incorporate the skill and perhaps some of the psyche of the deceased.
Old 19-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #7   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Oh my god.... This thread actually got posts.

I actually thought the manga was pretty clear that she had less yoma in her than others did therefore she was somewhat "weaker" than the others. However before they go into battle with the voracious eater one of the claymores had said "I felt like I was among the strongest of us all." We'll just have to see how that develops.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 19-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

(sigh) did a scan on the internet to see how far Claymore is in Japan ... and supposedly its up to at least volume 10!

What I don't get, is why such manga are not flagged for multi-language distribution from the beginning (or early in the series) ... If the producers catered to the global market at the early stages, then this would greatly diminish "scanlations" and or any non liscensed distribution of material. This in turn, would either increase profitability or at the least offset translational costs ... but in any case, it would help to focus distribution on the legitimate source company - which would help to perpetuate the continued production of new manga and anime.

... of course, the "internet rebel underground" would still have its place in keeping said production houses honest ... with the implied threat - "blatently over priced (or delayed) material will lead to a loss of market share ... in other words don't be too greedy or lazy!)

My greatest fear is that if taken to far, the smaller more challenged anime studios/artists will close shop for lack of profitability.

... if this happens, then everyone loses.

Sam
Old 20-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #9   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Originally Posted by SamIam
(sigh) did a scan on the internet to see how far Claymore is in Japan ... and supposedly its up to at least volume 10!
At least Viz seem to be translating them at a reasonable rate (I've already pre-ordered volumes 6 & 7), so it won't be too long before we catch up I reckon. Better than ADV over-stretching themselves & dumping most (all?) of their manga line & leaving fans high & dry, i.e., Gunslinger Girl at volume 3 when it's at volume 7 in Japan.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #10   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

... okay I finally got a hold of volume 9 ... and it was kick but!

... and of course the volume answers a few questions while putting forth 50 more questions or mysteries! arghhhh...

possible spoilers ...

So... the one tentative conclusion I got from this volume is that the Awakening of a Claymore has, to a degree a variable outcome based upon the latent talent and will of the individual ... that if the individual is strong willed enough, they can manipulate the nature of the awakening (or even pull back from it) ... and that the strongest Awakened beings can actually morph or control the outward manifestation that typically accompanies the conversion process. So for instance Riful of the West could (in theory) walk among normal humans without being detected - it would take another Yoma or Claymore to pick her out ...

What I find most intriguing about this, is the implication that personal will plays a major part in the entire Yoma/Human hybridization process ... so... will and certain mental disciplines? actually control things like awakening and variable power levels ...

So ... we seem to have 3 basic levels here ...

Stage 1. Normal Claymore hybrid

Stage 2. Awakened being with mutated body of middle capacity

Stage 3. Awakened being with a higher degree of mastery of matter i.e. the Abyss Lords

Stage 4. My guess is that for a being to surpass the Abyss Lords, means greater mastery of matter and energy ...by means of transcending the corporeal body ... with such a mastery the individual would become virtually immortal and of a power far greater than what has been displayed so far by the Abyss Lords ...

So what I am thinking is that a possible ultimate "Claymore" would be a being that takes the next evolutionary step to bridge the gap between the mortality of material body to a self sustaining sentient energy field that can transmute matter into energy and back.

Next to this, the Abyss Lords would be like children ... just as a young human child is next to a claymore.

Last edited by SamIam; 04-08-2007 at 01:54 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #11   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Volume nine was amazing, I can't wait to sure more action with some more of the Abyss monsters. I'm also interested in how Clare's power only continus to grow.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 31-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #12   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Mecha454
Volume nine was amazing, I can't wait to sure more action with some more of the Abyss monsters. I'm also interested in how Clare's power only continus to grow.
Hahah ...

The "secret" here is the often used plot device by Manga writers ... to promote the age old story of the Ugly Duckling ... where a character often starts out with the appearances of being weak or unfit for society ... and that through luck, determination and untapped inner potential, overcomes all obstacles to reach for the top.

The Japanase phrase for this is "Top O Nerae" or Aim for the top (popularized by the Gainax classic Gunnbuster: To O Nerae) ... which is a somewhat more comtempary descriptor of the traditonal "Gambatte Kudasai" = "Do your very best, Please" and the more colloquial usage of American Japanese during WWII, "Go for Broke" which roughly translates into "strive until you die".

Add to the protagonists evolutionary journey, a cast of characters that often represent the manifestation of different views on how to succeed ... as contrasting lessons for the viewer ... by way of visual allegory.

One could almost draw the conclusion that a story of this nature, could be distilled down to the case study of a group of children as they grow and change over time ... where the protagonist of the group happens to be the most successful . Now add to this "clinical view" cultural allegory concerning what is right and wrong, good and bad and finally mold it into the traditonal model of the conflict between good and evil ... and you have the basis for anime.

Sam
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #13   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

Ch 74 is out, no more Gaiden ch's!
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #14   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Yeah! I just read that chapter....Holy Sh!t I didn't realize that Galatea is that badass! I almost want to say that she's better than Teresa, but I don't wanna get my panties too wet yet. Still, it was a bit suprising that she was able to fight pratically blind and read the Yoki of her oppenents so easily. She would definately be a powerful ally for Clare and gang if they're talking about taking on the Abysmal Ones. Sh!t! Now we have to wait one damn month for a chapter! Why can't Claymore be weekly like other mangas!?
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #15   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

ACE!!! you crossed over??? lol bou time fool
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote