Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #1   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Manga Discussion Club

There's an Anime Discussion Club kicking off, so, I thought, why not blatantly steal the idea and make an Manga Discussion Club?

Any takers on this? There are lots of series out there that would be interesting to discuss.

My first suggestion: Coelacanth.
Summary: When Satomi was a child, she was in a hit-and-run accident with a boy on a bike, who dropped a toy fish scale when he made his escape. This accident ends up saving her life, as her apartment building burns down on the same day. Since that time, she's kept the toy scale as a lucky charm. Years later, after one of her teachers dies under mysterious circumstances, she happens to run into the same boy from that day, whose name is Yanagi. What really happened on that day long ago when her apartment burned down? Why does Satomi constantly hallucinate about a talking sheep following her around? And why does Yanagi see the sheep too?

A good, short mystery series to kick things off. Let me know if you guys want in on this and if you have suggestions!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
I want in on this one! Sounds pretty interesting. Haven't read a good mystery series in awhile. I'll post my thoughts on this one once I get a few chapters under my belt.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
This sounds like a great idea Dheu. My only question is the series you've proposed completed? I think it would be difficult to get a really good discussion going on a series that isn't completed. I hope this does well enough because I'd love to start one for Pluto especially using it's source material "World's Strongest Robot" in the discussion.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Yeah, it's completed, and it's only 2 volumes (8 chapters) long. Something nice and short but that has some discussion potential to kick the club off.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
This sounds like an interesting and promising title to look out for. If I find it at Kinokuniya, I'll pick it up today. Otherwise, I can get it in Malaysia.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
I have been readin gGantz latly it is definatly for adults but i find the story awesome! Has anyone else read this series?

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
I have been readin gGantz latly it is definatly for adults but i find the story awesome! Has anyone else read this series?
I've been reading Gantz for awhile know. The story is definately getting stranger and stranger by the chapter. Last several chapters have been pretty much revealing the real purpose of GANTZ. Talk about some crazy stuff! I definately plan on reading this once the new chapters come.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Currently read 3 chapters of Coelacanth. Definately a interesting read so far. What is really got me curious is the talking sheep. For a sheep, he's pretty insightful! Also, I get the feeling that Yanagi is pretty cold-blooded but is able to mask that really well so as far as to fool Satomi. Not much more to say since I've only read three chapters. Plan on reading more later on today.
Old 17-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #9   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Yeah, the talking sheep is a definite mind-trip, especially since he's so sharp. He reminds me of the monkey from Twelve Kingdoms. I'm still trying to determine his exact purpose in the manga.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

I'll hold my own until later.